Ramnagar is a small town and municipal board in the Nainital District is a district of Uttarakhand state, India.
Nainital District is located in Kumaon Division, and is bounded on the north by the Almora District and on the south by the Udham Singh Nagar District. Haldwani is the largest town in the district.
Ramnagar is located at 29°24 N 79°07 E. It has an average elevation of 345 metres (1,132 feet). Ramnagar is located at the foothills of the Himalayas on the bank of rive Kosi.
Villages nearby Ramnagar are Patkot, Kotabagh, Bhalaun, Amgarhi, Perumadara,[Tanda] and [[Haldua-There is a place called "HALDUA" , It is famous for International "Litchi farming" and a temple "Sati Devi Mandir".
The town was established and settled by Commissioner H. Ramsay in 1856-1884. The town is well-known for being the gateway to Corbett National Park and draws lot of tourist attention because of its geogrophical location. Its proximity to famous hill station of Northern India, Nainital, makes it even more popular. Ramnagar also shares the tag of "entry point to Uttrakhand Hills" with the nearby town of Haldwani. Corbett national park attracts lots of tourist from india and out side india. To reach ramnagar train from delhi is available called RANIKHET EXPRESS which is reaching at 4.30 to Ramnagar. A tourist can easily plan his/her day. There is temple in the mid of KOSI NADI called GARJIA which is a very famous temple and it is said that a couple has to go in that temple to take the blessings of the "GARJIA MAA"
The nearest rail head is Ramnagar which is the terminus of Delhi-Moradabad-Ramnagar broad gauge branch of North East Railway.Ramnagar is connected by road to Delhi as well as Lucknow. Delhi is 240 Kms. away via Kashipur-Moradabad-Ghaziabad , while Lucknow is 432 Kms. via Kashipur-Rampur & Bareilly. Ramnagar is 60 Kms. from Nainital via Kaladhungi.The nearest airport is at Pantnagar about 80 Kms. from Ramnagar.
Without the Ramganga river there would be no Corbett. It is the largest of the precious few perennial sources of water in the Park. In fact, for a brief period (from 1954 to 1957) the Park was known as Ramganga National Park.
A rain-fed river originating near Gairsain in the Lesser Himalayas, the Ramganga traverses more than 100 km before entering Corbett near Marchula. Inside the Park it flows roughly from east to west for 40 km till Kalagarh where it enters the plains. During this run through the Park it gathers waters from the Palain, Mandal and Sonanadi rivers.
Dam on the Ramganga at Kalagarh (built in the mid-1970s) forms a reservoir of about 80 sq. km. area, the backwaters of which reach till Dhikala. Downstream from Kalagarh the river meanders for another 300 km through the Indo-Gangetic plains and finally drains into the Ganga near Farrukhabad in Uttar Pradesh.
The Ramganga is inhabited by key aquatic species like mahseer fish, the endangered gharials, mugger crocodiles, otters and turtles. Many species of birds, like kingfishers, fish-eagles, terns and storks depend on the Ramganga. During winters the Ramganga reservoir attracts many migratory bird species, especially waterbirds from Europe and Central Asia
The road from Dhangarhi to Dhikala runs along the Ramganga for most of its length. Forest Rest Houses at Gairal, Sarapduli, Khinanauli and Dhikala are situated alongside the Ramganga. The Dhikala watchtower is an ideal spot to view the Ramganga in the Patli Dun valley. At Crocodile Pool, High Bank and Champion’s Pool visitors can dismount from their vehicles and see the Ramganga closely. Kanda FRH, the highest rest house of the Park, provides a bird’s eye view of the Ramganga.
Dhangarhi is the main entrance to the park is located on Ramnagar-Ranikhet road 19 Kms. from Ramnagar.Dhangarhi houses a museum of dead animals and is worth visiting. South western boundry of park touches Kalagarh which can also be approached from Moradabad.Dhikala 35 Kms. from Dhangarhi connected by forest road is the main tourist spot of the park.There is one more entrance from Amdanda six Kms. from Ramnagar in Phooltal area